BLADE RUNNER 2049 Will Fall Very Short Of Its Box Office Earnings Goal

blade-runner-2049-ryan-gosling-ana-de-armas.jpg

Sony's Blade Runner 2049 seemed to have everything going for it — a very talented director (Denis Villeneuve), An impressive cast with Ryan Gosling and the return of Harrison Ford in the role of Deckard and lots of critical acclaim. But despite all those positive marks, the sequel didn't deliver at the box office.

Alcon Entertainment and its investors are looking to lose about $80 million on the film, insiders close to the project tell The Hollywood Reporter. Right now the movie's global gross through Nov. 5 is up to $240.6 million. But those aren't great results for a film that cost $155 million to produce. 

Blade Runner's losses could be minimized over time if Blu-Ray and digital sales are better than expected.

I always find it a bit tragic when great movies underperform at the box office, but at the end of the day movies are a business, and just because the product is good, doesn't mean the demand is high.

Kevin Feige Calls for Truce in MCU vs DCEU Rivalry

kevin-feige-spider-man-homecoming-1024x520.jpg

With Thor: Ragnarok currently killing it in theaters and Justice League just around the corner, the MCU vs DCEU rivalry is nearing its peak.  Now Marvel Cinematic Universe mastermind Kevin Feige is requesting fans to chill out and stop feuding amongst themselves. It’s time to put an end to the MCU vs DCEU rivalry.

In a recent interview with Crave, Feige called for fan peace, saying that the rivalry only really exists in the minds of fans, and that behind-the-scenes, filmmakers and actors from both cinematic universes get along just fine:

“I think it’s ridiculous. I think movies are awesome and people should go out and support awesome movies, and I go support those movies and I thought Wonder Woman was awesome…I can’t wait to see what Geoff Johns and Joss [Whedon] and the gang has done with Justice League. I guess people like rivalries, I guess? I don’t know. But I’m seeing Geoff Johns in a couple weeks for dinner. We went to this [Richard] Donner event together. Dick’s Superman is still the best archetype of superhero films. So yeah, just go see cool movies. What are you fighting about?”

Feige actually said something very similar in the past. Earlier this year, Feige told Cinema Blend:

“There’s not really a rivalry. A rivalry is much more amongst the press, I think. Geoff Johns [at DC] is a very good friend of mine. We grew up together in the business…So, I applaud all the successes he has. And I really just look at it as a fan. When the movies perform well and are well-received, it’s good for us – which is why I’m always rooting for them.”

So when Justice League hits theaters on November 17, 2017, just try to enjoy it for what it is and resist the temptation to compare it to the MCU. 

Ridley Scotts Says The ALIEN Franchise Needs To Get Rid Of The Xenomorph

alien-covenant-ac_152_00459216_rgb_copy_-_h_2017.jpg

Would you be interested if the next installment(s) of the Alien franchise if they didn't have the iconic Xenomorph alien in it? Well, Oscar-winning director Ridley Scott thinks so.

During an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Scott said he has little interest in revisiting the series’ classic alien species.

“We went to Covenant to perpetuate the idea and re-evolve the universe of the alien, who — I think the beast has almost run out, personally. You’ve got to come in with something else. You’ve got to replace that.”

He added, “And so I was right, I was ahead of the game,” likely referring to the negative-to-mixed reception to his Prometheus sequel, which chose to center around the infamous beast, yet again.

This isn't the first time Scott has expressed this, he once told the Empire Film podcast:

“I think the evolution of the Alien himself is nearly over. But what I was trying to do was transcend and move to another story, which would be taken over by A.I.’s. The world that the AI might create as a leader if he finds himself on a new planet. We have actually quite a big layout for the next one.”

He also mentioned his follow-up to Alien Covenant saying: “I’ll probably be filming it within a year,” he also explained that writer John Logan has already given him a script for a direct sequel he plans to shoot after he finishes All the Money In The World and The Cartel. Scott also revealed:

“It’ll be out within a year and nine months. It’s weird when you’re writing, doing, planning, thinking about franchises, it’s amazing how it opens up and starts to evolve.” Declining to divulge a title for the project, Scott did tease he might make “maybe two more [films], or maybe one more.”

Alien: Covenant was made on a production budget of $97 million, and made over $240 million at the worldwide box office. By comparison, Prometheus earned a whopping $403.3 million internationally.

What do you think? Do you think Ridley Scott should ditch the Xenomorph?

Vin Diesel Developing Boxing Drama CRUSHERS CLUB For NBC

furious-6-vin-diesel-as-dominic-toretto.jpg

The Fast and the Furious star is teaming with Mudbound writer Virgil Williams for a boxing drama over at NBC.

THR reports that the drama, titled Crushers Club will be an hourlong show about a struggling boxing gym, which also serves as a second home for kids in one of Chicago’s toughest neighborhoods.  

Williams will write the script and executive produce with Diesel through his One Race Television banner. Williams previously worked for six seasons as a writer-producer on Criminal Minds. He is also the co-writer on the upcoming Netflix film Mudbound, which many expect to be an awards season contender. 

Crushers Club is one of three projects on One Race TV's slate this season, the other being a reboot of Miami Vice, also at NBC, and a reboot of Get Christie Love at ABC. 

WALKING DEAD Star Lauren Cohan Joins Mark Walhberg in Action Movie MILE 22

615071.png

It looks like Mark Wahlberg will be joined by The Walking Dead's Lauren Cohan in the action flick Mile 22. Veteran director Peter Berg (Lone Survivor, Deepwater Horizon) is tapped to helm the project that already has a cast that includes John Malkovich, MMA star Ronda Rousey and Asian action star Iko Uwais (The Raid). Production is set to begin later this month.

The script tells the story of an elite American intelligence officer who, aided by a top-secret tactical command unit, tries to smuggle a mysterious police officer with sensitive information out of the country.

Graham Roland (Lost, Fringe) and Lea Carpenter wrote the script. Berg along with Wahlberg and Stephen Levinson will produce the film.

Source: THR

Ridley Scott Will Reshoot All Of Kevin Spacey’s Scenes in ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD with Christopher Plummer

spacey2.jpg

We are seeing something that has never happened before. Director Ridley Scott and studio executives have decided to remove Kevin Spacey from the movie All The Money In The World, which has already completed shooting. Deadline Hollywood broke the story that actor Christopher Plummer will replace Spacey in the role of J. Paul Getty. It seems like a tall order considering that Scott is determined to keep the film's December 22nd release date. Re-shoots of the key scenes are expected to commence immediately.

The cast and crew of the film, and Sony Pictures, all agreed to re-shoot all of Spacey’s scenes, with Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams. The decision comes after they decided to pull the film from the AFI Festival when sexual assault allegations against Spacey might affect the film that Scott dropped everything to direct. They were also concerned that because so many people worked hard and did not deserve to see the film fail because of the scandal. 

It won't  be an impossible task to reshoot and have the film ready for Christmas mostly because Spacey only worked about eight to ten days on the film. But his character is a vital presence even if much of the action in the thriller involves the frantic efforts of the kidnapped heir’s mother Gail Harris (Williams), and Getty’s advisor (Wahlberg) to free the youth. The nightmare escalated after the family received his severed ear as proof the kidnappers were going to kill him if the money wasn’t delivered.

With the recent tsunami of sexual assault and harassment allegations that are flooding Hollywood, it’s inspiring to see filmmakers fight for what is morally right.

During the production of Gladiator, Scott was forced to deal with late re-shoots following the death of Oliver Reed. But those circumstances were a lot different than the decision that was made today on All The Money In The World.

The Duffer Bros. Promise That STRANGER THINGS Season 3 Will Be Weirder Than Previous Seasons

the-duffer-brothers-promise-that-stranger-things-3-will-be-weirder-than-previous-seasons-social.jpg

The Duffer Brothers are sharing more about what fans can hope for in the upcoming Stranger Things Season 3. In a recent interview with IndieWire the brothers shared how they are preparing. Ross Duffer says:

 “I love the early days of seasons, because you are filled with all of these possibilities. We are having a lot of fun just bouncing around cool ideas.”

The series creators spoke about the show’s future explaining why they can’t reveal the ’80s references that we'll see next season and why they are excited about their young cast growing up. They hinted that a third season will focus more on character development than on expanding the scope of the show. Matt explains:

 “It’s not necessarily going to be bigger in scale. What I am really excited about is giving these characters an interesting journey to go on.”

Season 3 technically hasn’t gotten an official greenlight, but we know it's going to happen and they are still trying to think ahead. Ross says:

“It’s really just Matt and me working with some writers and figuring out where it’s going to go, something almost weirdly more intimate and a lot of fun.”

Youth is one of the reasons fans love the series and many fans are concerned with how the Duffers will keep the show as appealing when the young actors are growing up so fast in between seasons. This is how the Matt responded:

“We are leaning into it. I love the fact that they’re going through adolescence.”

They say they see the casts growth as a good and natural change for the show, because of all the character depth they can explore. Adolescence “is a very dramatic part of your life, and drama is good! So I think it’s good it forces the show to evolve,” said Matt Duffer. After all, everybody loves a good coming-of-age story.

They also shared the challenges that come along with essentially making a 9-Hour Movie: “We are still trying to figure out how to tell an eight or nine-hour story,” said Matt Duffer in regards to the challenge of writing binge-watchable long-form narratives. Ross adds:

“Maybe we will get it just right when ‘Stranger Things’ is done. The final season.”

Stranger Things 2 is streaming now on Netflix.

Hilarious Behind-The-Scenes Video Focuses on The Stunts From Hulu’s Sci-Fi Series FUTURE MAN

MV5BMzQxMzI2NDQtZDkyYS00OGI3LWFkNTktZjI0NmQ2ODRkYTQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTY0MTkxMTg@__V1_SY1000_CR0014981000_AL_.jpg

The Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg-Produced action comedy Future Man is set to premiere next week on Hulu. We already saw a great trailer, and now we're getting a look at a new behind-the-scenes video. The featurette focuses on the wild stunts in the show about time-traveling warriors. They recruit a fish-out-of-water character played by Josh Hutcherson.

Future Man follows a janitor by day/world-ranked gamer by night who travels through time to prevent the extinction of humanity after mysterious visitors from the future proclaim him the key to defeating the imminent super-race invasion.

Nowadays so many productions are visual effects-focused, but we can tell this production is putting the practical effects first. This series looks like it will be a ton of fun!

Future Man hits Hulu on November 14.

New STAR WARS Novel Claims That Luke Skywalker Can Pull Down Star Destroyers With The Force

maxresdefault.jpg

We know that Luke Skywalker was one badass Jedi by the conclusion of the original trilogy. But apparently, that was just the tip of the iceberg. In Ken Liu’s new Star Wars novel, fans will be treated to a series of myths and tall-tales involving Mark Hamill’s Jedi Master. The Legends of Luke Skywalker is available for purchase now, and it looks to include some new insight into Luke’s breathtaking abilities.

Liu’s book is considered canon, but all of its stories are told through the lens of a cargo crew bound for Canto Bight – the same city in which Finn and Rose begin their “dark mission” during Star Wars: The Last Jedi

YouTube channel Star Wars Theory recently uncovered some new details from Liu’s novel which reveal that Jedi Luke is able to bring down entire Star Destroyers using only the Force. Remember all those derelict wrecks scattered across the Jakku desert? Turns out Luke may have been the one responsible for bringing the Empire’s fleet out of the sky.

In the story, an imperial gunner on a Star Destroyer recalls the terrifying moment he sees a hologram of Luke just before the ship crashes out of the sky. In the book he says:

“The bridge went dark. The overhead lights, the view screens, the blinking lights on the banks of consoles. Even the emergency lighting strips on the floor. All around us was the darkness of space…I saw that the bridge windows were rapidly filling with expanding columns of energy… A jolt, as if the entire Star Destroyer had been picked up by a giant hand and slammed against the ground. The ship slowed, drifted, stopped and then the stark lifeless surface of Jakku swung into view, filling the windows, and we fell, we fell.

This gives us a glimpse into one major event that Luke was involved in between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. And though it is hard to imagine the once Farmboy Luke pulling a giant metal piece of pizza out of the sky, this may give us a glimpse into what we may see from Luke in The Last Jedi.

This story reminds me a lot of a sequence from the Lucasarts Video Game Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Below, I embedded a clip of Starkiller bringing down a Star Destroyer with the Force, now just picture Luke in his place pulling down ship after ship in the battle for Jakku

Via: We Got This Covered

Russell Crowe to Star in TRUE HISTORY OF THE KELLY GANG From ASSASSIN’S CREED Director Justin Kurzel

Oscar winner Russell Crowe along with George MacKay (Captain Fantastic) have officially joined the cast of director Justin Kurzel’s True History of the Kelly Gang. The movie is based on Peter Carey’s novel, and follows notorious bushranger Ned Kelly (played by MacKay), one of the world’s greatest outlaws, and the colonial badlands from which he rose.

Deadline reports that Crowe and MacKay will join a cast that includes Travis Fimmel (Vikings), Sean Keenan (Strangerland), Dacre Montgomery (Stranger Things), Harry Greenwood (Hacksaw Ridge), Thomasin McKenzie (My Abandonment) and Earl Cave (Born to Kill).

The script is by Shaun Grant, and filming for the production will begin in March 2018, they will be shooting in Victoria, Australia.

Crowe, who won the Oscar for his role in Gladiator, was last seen in Universal’s The Mummy reboot as Dr. Jekyl (and Mr. Hyde).

Kurzel last directed Michael Fassbender in Assassin's Creed.

So far no release date has been announced for True History of the Kelly Gang. Here's the description from the book:

“I lost my own father at 12 yr. of age and know what it is to be raised on lies and silences my dear daughter you are presently too young to understand a word I write but this history is for you and will contain no single lie may I burn in Hell if I speak false.”

In True History of the Kelly Gang, the legendary Ned Kelly speaks for himself, scribbling his narrative on errant scraps of paper in semiliterate but magically descriptive prose as he flees from the police. To his pursuers, Kelly is nothing but a monstrous criminal, a thief and a murderer. To his own people, the lowly class of ordinary Australians, the bushranger is a hero, defying the authority of the English to direct their lives. Indentured by his bootlegger mother to a famous horse thief (who was also her lover), Ned saw his first prison cell at 15 and by the age of 26 had become the most wanted man in the wild colony of Victoria, taking over whole towns and defying the law until he was finally captured and hanged. Here is a classic outlaw tale, made alive by the skill of a great novelist.